Now if ye be ready that at what time ye hear the sound of the cornet, flute, harp, sackbut, psaltery, and dulcimer, and all kinds of music, ye fall down and worship the image which I have made, well: but if ye worship not, ye shall be cast the same hour into the midst of a burning fiery furnace; and who is that god that shall deliver you out of my hands?
Christianity has undoubtedly made an unparalleled mark in music over the centuries. Judaism, on the other hand, not so much (at least in the West). I mean, there’s a reason why holiday concerts are regularly filled with catchy nativity hymns and that one dreidel song.
In this page I’d like to share some of my favorite examples of awesome music with biblical themes. While it is certainly true that the Christian religion has produced many unfortunate things in its nearly two-thousand year existence, it could be argued that music certainly isn’t one of them.
- Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring by Bach. Also check out the guitar version
- Ave Maria by Franz Schubert. Another amazing rendition here. Also check out the violin version
- Devil’s Trill Sonata by Giuseppe Tartini
- Spirit in the Sky by Norman Greenbaum
- Hallelujah by Rufus Wainwright
- I’ll Fly Away by the Kossoy Sisters
- Down to the River to Pay by Alison Krauss